Old dogs, young dogs, and sick dogs have one thing in common: they are all highly sensitive to cold weather. While you can find plenty of clothing to keep your pooch warm, how about when it’s time for sleep?
Well, heated dog beds perform the same role as an electric blanket you might use for your own bed.
When you’re shopping for heated dog beds, you can choose from four main styles:
- Flat pads
- Outdoor heated beds
- Heated furniture covers
Now, buying a dog bed doesn’t involve the same level of complexity as buying a bed for yourself. Nevertheless, there are a few simple pointers to bear in mind that will simplify your buying decision.
Here are some things to note when choosing to buy a heated dog bed.
- Focus on high quality materials: As with just about anything you buy that comes into contact with your pet’s fur and skin, you should focus on getting the best materials you can find. You wouldn’t stint on your own bed, so why cut corners with your pet’s sleeping quarters? Look for a combination of comfort and support. Durability is another important factor. Aim for a balance and you can’t go wrong.
- Consider the size and sleeping habits of your pooch: Many of these heated dog beds are designed purely for smaller dogs. If you have a much larger breed, you’ll have sorely limited options. You should also think closely about your dog’s sleeping habits. This will inform the type of bed that makes the best fit.
- Colorways: Some of these heated beds come in a bare handful of color schemes while others allow you to choose from all the colors of the rainbow. This may or may not be important to you. If you are a fan of color coordinating your dog’s gear with your own design scheme, opt for a heated pet bed with a wide choice. If your dog dislikes certain colors, steer clear of these. If you decide on a color similar to your dog’s coat, this will hide the dirt and hair.
- Electric or self-heating: Some heated dog beds require electricity and work like electric blankets. Others are made from highly insulated material and act as self-heating beds. Although electric-powered heated beds are extremely effective, there’s always a chance your dog will bite his way through the power cable.
- Portability: If you spend a lot of time on the road, look for a bed that’s easy to take with you.
- Washing and maintenance: Make sure the dog bed you’re looking at is easy to clean and look after. Many of these beds are safe to pop in the washing machine, some are even OK to tumble dry. Make sure you buy a bed in line with your preferences for upkeep.
- Price/performance ratio: Rather than becoming obsessed with the bottom line, examine the price of the dog beds you’re considering set against performance. If you look for overall value rather than focusing purely on price, you’ll have a much stronger chance of finding the best heated dog bed for your needs.
Is a Electric heated dog bed safe for my naughty dog?
All heated dog beds should come with an anti-bite layer on the power cord. As such, all heated beds intended for pet use should be perfectly safe. If your dog is prone to biting things and you’re still concerned, consider opting for a self-heating bed. These come with highly insulated layers and your pup should be warm enough without any electrics involved.
I. The 8 Best Heated Dog Beds
1. Our #1 Pick:K & H Pet Products Self-Warming Crate Pad
First up in our quest for the best heated dog beds is a superb self-warming pad from the stellar K & H Pet Products.
With a broad spread of colors and sizes to choose from, you should find something suitable whatever type of hound you own. As you’ll see, most of the other heated beds we review today are exclusively for smaller dogs.
This pet bed is super-simple to wash and look after so perfect if you have a busy lifestyle but you don’t want to compromise on your pet’s comfort.
The only real complaint we could find when scouring user reviews concerns the amount of heat generated. A few consumers were disappointed in this regard. In fairness, the vast bulk of feedback is overwhelmingly positive. This is our overall pick for best heated dog bed so why not give it a try?
2. Best For Small Dogs:Best Friends by Sheri Deep Dish Cuddler
Next up is this iconic deep dish cuddler from Best Friends by Sheri. What makes this heated bed stand out, then?
Firstly, you get a huge choice when it comes to color so there’s no excuse not to coordinate your pet bed with the décor in your room. Choose from a standard or jumbo bed to suit your pooch.
The supportive yet comfortable bed comes vet-backed and you’ll give your pup’s joints all the support he needs as he relaxes in comforting warmth.
This warm bed is our favorite for small dogs. If your furball weighs over 25 pounds, you need to look elsewhere for his bed. For all smaller pups, this makes a smart choice.
3. AmazonBasics Warming Pet Bed
Are you shopping for cheap heated dog beds? If so, you should consider this pocket-friendly bed from AmazonBasics. What else do you get besides a bargain?
The impressive use of mylar harnesses the same tech you find in blankets designed for use in outer space. This will ensure your dog stays toasty even if the mercury tumbles. Despite keeping your dog so warm, you won’t need any electricity to generate this heat thanks to that mylar construction.
Easy to spot clean, this self-warming dog bed is well worth popping on your shortlist and it won’t blow your budget. You can’t do much more than spot clean the bed, though. You can’t machine wash it and it’s too bulky to easily wash by hand in a sink.
Overall, this is by far the best cheap dog bed up for grabs.
4. RIOGOO Pet Heating Pad
This classic heating pad from RIOGOO is tailor-made for pets with arthritis, sickness, or injury. The pad also comes into own with senior dogs. What makes it so good, then?
Firstly, the choice of sizing means you should find a bed to fit your pooch whatever his breed. This is by no means always the case with most beds to keep your pup warm.
With deep layers of protection in this comfy yet supportive pet bed, keep your dog safe as well as warm.
The only real drawback we could unearth was a few disgruntled consumers suggesting this bed gets nowhere near as warm as advertised. If your furball feels the cold more than most, look elsewhere. For everyone else, this pad makes a neat choice for most dogs, big or small.
5. K & H Pet Products Original Lectro-Kennel
Next up we have another great pet bed from K & H Pet Products with the Lectro-Kennel. What does this thing do and why should you care?
You can choose between 3 sizes which should give you ample scope whatever the shape and size of your hound.
You won’t draw down too much power with this heated bed yet your dog should feel the benefit.
A chew-resistant cable ensures your inquisitive pooch won’t end up electrocuting himself.
Crowned with a 1-year limited guarantee, you can buy with peace of mind and rest assured your day will stay nice and warm year-round.
6. Pet Magasin Thermal Heated Bed
One of your cheapest options if you want to introduce a little more heat into your dog’s life is to invest in this this heated bed.
Weaving in a layer of mylar, you’ll find your dog will appreciate the thermal qualities while you’ll enjoy delivering a shot of warmth without needing to pay a stiff electricity bill.
Buying the 2-pack gives you even better value than ever. When heated beds are this cheap, there’s simply no excuse not to indulge your pup.
As if the bargain basement price wasn’t enough, you’ll even get a 2-year warranty, longer than the guarantee offered by any of the opposition.
7. K & H Pet Products Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper
Yet another entry from the inimitable K & H Pet Products as we edge to the end of our heated dog bed reviews.
This time you get a supple and soft bed with foam walls to give your pooch all the support he needs for his back and his neck.
The velvet cover is hypoallergenic and you shouldn’t experience any issues, even if your dog is sensitive and prone to outbreaks.
When pup’s bed needs a wash, you can slip off the cover along with the heater and pillow to wash it fuss-free.
Safe to use and capable of keeping your pride and joy comfortable all year and whatever the weather, this is one of the finest heated dog beds we’ve seen.
8. American Kennel Club Self-Heating Solid Pet Bed
To round out, we have a solid heated bed from the American Kennel Club.
With a wide palette of colors to choose from, you get a machine-washable bed that’s backed with insulated foam. This is hard-wearing and will last the distance, but it’s also comfortable and supportive giving your dog all he needs.
Spacious enough for larger dogs, this bed comes packing a non-skid bottom so you won’t end up with it slipping all over your hard flooring.
This bed is self-warming, so you won’t need to worry about your furball biting his way through a power cord.
Easy to care for and capable of keeping your bundle of joy warm all winter long, this self-heating solid bed is one of the smartest investments you could make alongside a winter coat.
We trust today’s guide to the best heated dog beds has given you plenty of food for thought. We tried to include beds at a wide range of price-points. We’ve also thrown in beds suitable for most breeds of dog, even if there’s a focus on smaller dog beds.
Stick with any of the beds we review today and you’re in safe hands. As always, we draw your attention to any flaws with all pet products so you can buy with your eyes wide open. Found a heated bed not on our list? Pay attention to our buying guide and you’ll be able to buy with complete confidence.
Before you go, we’d suggest you bookmark MeetYourDog as your go-to resource for all things canine. We have an extremely busy content calendar over the coming months so watch this space and come back soon.